1 (833) 408-5472

Maintenance line for after hours.

Is Your Rental Property a Potential Hazard To Your Tenants?

Keeping your tenants safe and comfortable in your rental property is critical to your responsibility as a landlord. However, there is a possibility of them encountering hazardous conditions if you don’t take the necessary precautions to avoid them well in advance.

To ensure that your property is not a hazard to its occupants, you as the landlord must be aware of specific household hazards that can go unnoticed. Additionally, it’s essential to educate your tenants on potential risks.

Toxic Mold

Mold sounds harmless, right? It doesn’t sound deadly. However, moist areas plus a food source, such as cardboard or paper, are very inviting places for mold to grow. The growth of mold indoors can place the occupants at risk for various health risks.

Among the different kinds of mold, many are harmful, but not all. Those with allergies can be triggered by black mold, and it can also cause additional problems in those with allergies like respiratory distress or anaphylactic shock.

As a landlord, preventing mold growth in your rental property is not a hard thing to do. Simple things like running an exhaust fan in a steamy bathroom, airing out the house, or installing a dehumidifier can do wonders in keeping mold out of your home.


Asbestos is a big problem for older rental homes. As long as it stays undisturbed within walls or other closed areas, asbestos is relatively harmless. If you have asbestos in your rental property walls, you need to inform your tenant and tell them not to drill holes or hammer nails into the walls.

Small openings are enough to allow asbestos to enter your home and cause mesothelioma cancer. You should not attempt to remove asbestos yourself, as this is done best by a licensed professional to prevent asbestos-related illnesses.


Household fires are widespread in the United States. It is estimated that an average of seven people dies every day from house fires. Cooking fires are usually due to oil and other ingredients. Laundry room fires, on the other hand, are often caused by dryer lint. Faulty appliances, electrical issues, and unattended candles are also significant causes of household fires.

As a landlord, there are many things you can do to prevent fires from starting in your rental home; you can ensure your home is free from any critical electrical issues and have a yearly cleaning schedule for your dryer vent.

It’s also a great idea to include fire safety education as a part of your tenant orientation to minimize the chances of your rental property catching fire.

Get Peace of Mind With Property Managers

Managing a rental property can involve a lot of work and dedication. However, safety cannot be compromised. If you find yourself overwhelmed with the task of managing your property, you can benefit from the services of Harbor Property Management.

Property management companies can help keep your property in the best shape possible and take on all the tasks you may not have time for. At Harbor Property Management, we offer a full suite of services for property owners looking to entrust a company for a hands-off approach to rental and investment properties.